There have only ever been four established stationers in Chesham. One of these, JPS Stationers in the Market Square, occupies premises which have been a stationers, albeit under different names, for 100 years. The other major stationer in the town was Easts, who had premises in the High Street for 50 years. Nowadays, of course, as well as JPS we also have W.H.Smith.
Easts Stationers–also known as County Stationers, 42 High Street
What was No 42 High Street until the 1950s is now known as No 44. Walter East moved there in 1923, having already been successfully running an established stationery business at 54 The Broadway.
The name was changed from Easts to the County Stationers in 1955 and ceased trading in 1968. Walter was in partnership with his brother Edwin, but Edwin had very little to do with the shop. He was not only a successful architect but also at one point Chairman of Chesham Urban District Council.
With the closure of the County Stationers, the premises became a shoe shop called Howard Scotts. The shop stocked Clarks shoes amongst other brands plus handbags and was very popular with parents looking to buy school shoes for their children. Following the closure of Howard Scotts in the mid-1990s, the premises were split into two smaller units.
One half is the Nails on Broadway nailbar and the other currently houses a flooring company following the closure of fashion jewellery and handbag shop Aspen Gray.
View more shops on Chesham’s High Street
Thank you to the following authors for their contribution:
A History of Chesham Shops: Gwyneth Bradley, Anne Crabbe, Tony Eustace, Keith Fletcher, Pat Kent, Frank Pearce, Eleanor Phillips and Vanessa Worship
A History of Chesham Shops Volume 2: Anne Crabbe, Tony Eustace, Keith Fletcher, Pat Kent, Eleanor Phillips and Vanessa Worship
Pubs of Chesham & Villages: Ray East, Keith Fletcher and Peter Hawkes
Chesham – the Origin of the Town’s Services: Eleanor Phillips and Keith Fletcher
More Tales of Old Chesham: George Piggin
The Story of John Brazil: Jean Archer
Photographs: courtesy of Chesham Heritage.