Outreach and Community Learning Events
Objective of role: To attend events in the community, to share stories and objects from our collection and to promote the work of the museum
Managed by: Management Committee
- Attendance at events varies but there are around five a a year, mostly in the summer months and at Christmas
- We have a monthly market stall from spring to autumn and at Christmas, on a Saturday morning and need helpers for two hour shifts
What the role involves
- To talk to people about the museum, its work and share stories and objects from the museum’s collection
- Support with setting up the stall, packing away, collecting and returning items to the store
- To deal with enquiries from members of the public
- To sell museum merchandise
Would suit you if you
- Have an interest in historic objects and archives and the local area
- Enjoy talking to people
- Are a good listener and able to work well with others
Volunteers will be given a full induction. They will also be signposted to wider training opportunities and sector-specific meetings.
About Chesham Museum
Chesham Museum was founded in 2004. It is a community organisation, conceived and run by local volunteers, with funding mainly through the efforts of its supporters with the support of local businesses, schools and the wider population.
Its first home was in the former stables of a public house ‘The Gamekeeper’s Lodge’ in Bellingdon Rd, and it relocated, in 2009, to 15 Market Square, Chesham until June 2017 when a change in circumstances meant it was forced to close its doors.
Since then, the museum has developed an outreach programme in the community and maintained a strong online presence through its website and social media channels, helping to provide a connection to its audiences and users both local, visitors and researchers from across the world. We’re making positive progress towards a new home for the museum and are growing our volunteer team. Join our team and share in the development of a thriving local history museum for the communities of Chesham and surrounding area.
How to apply
Contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the form below.